Category Archives: Weightloss

The role of stress in weight gain

Excerpt from my upcoming book on Flat Belly Diet… Full article here —>The role of stress in weight gain

We all know that stress is an inevitable component of our modern lives. In the daily hustle and bustle we are always scrambling to compress more and more work/play in the 24 hours we have. The stress of a looming deadline, the stress of paying bills, the stress of taxes, the stress of daily traffic etc., all wreak havoc on our bodies, in ways we still don’t fully understand. In the process of coping with these stresses we disrupt our eating and sleeping cycles and cause addi…

Read more

5 things to do for consistent fat loss

1)       Increase non-exercise activity level: Even the most avid exerciser only burns 30% of daily calorie requirement for all activities combined. The remaining 70% is burned in non-exercise activity, like moving around, walking, bending to pick up something etc. Basically what it means is that you burn more calories doing daily activities that require you to move around and go about your daily business than you will ever burn during even the most intense exercise sessions. Relying solely on exercise to burn excess fat is like using a straw one hour a day to empty a water tanker. It’s very i…

Read more

Eat fat to lose belly fat

So you had a little too many goodies over the holidays and gained some weight. Sounds familiar? You are not alone. Americans gain an average of 1lb over the winter break and the highest number of people hitting the gym is right after New Year’s. But do you know that the easiest way to lose fat is by eating more fat (and less carb)? I know it sounds counterintuitive but it’s a scientifically proven fact! Research has shown that the main reason we gain fat is because of the role insulin plays in storing fat. And Insulin is secreted in the pancreas in response to glucose in blood. And where does…

Read more

Why Is Resting Metabolic Rate Important For Fat Loss

In the last article I showed that protein increases your BMR by as much as 30%, 3 hours after a high protein meal. So let’s delve a bit deeper into BMR. What is BMR and why is it so important for fat loss? We hear all the time that as we age our BMR steadily declines and thats the main reason for age related weight gain. So what can be done to keep our BMR high?
 
Let’s first understand what the components of BMR are. Here is a definition from Wikipedia:
Basal metabolic rate (BMR), and the closely related resting metabolic rate (RMR), is the amount of daily energy expended while at rest i…

Read more

Eating Protein For Fat Loss

Different foods in our diet affect our metabolism differently. The digestion of food also requires expending calories for breaking down the components in food via the action of enzymes. This is called postprandial thermogenesis (PT) which temporarily increases the basal metabolic rate (BMR) following a meal. The graph below shows the affect of various components in food and how they affect the BMR as a function of time after the meal.

So this means about 3 hrs following a high protein meal the BMR increases about 30%. Carbs and fat don’t have the same dramatic effect on BMR. So within an hour o…

Read more